Lisa R. Petersen
Cohne Kinghorn P.C.
111 E. Broadway, 11th Floor
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Tel: (801) 363 4300
Lisa represents clients in the full spectrum of employment law issues. Widely recognized for her work in employment litigation, she has achieved an enviable record of success in all types of civil and commercial disputes.
Lisa concentrates her practice on:
- Representing clients in all types of employment disputes, including contract disputes
- Drafting and reviewing employment contracts
- Drafting and reviewing employment policies and procedures
- Appealing both civil litigation and administrative proceedings
- Representing clients in employment discrimination claims
- Representing clients in non-compete and trade secret cases, including obtaining and defending against temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions
Lisa writes and speaks on a wide variety of topics, including wage issues, sexual harassment, workplace policies and procedures, trade secrets and unfair competition, and state and federal law compliance.
Notable experience includes:
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of a pharmaceutical client in an employment discrimination claim in federal court
- Obtaining a voluntary dismissal of a discrimination claim against a nursing home client before the Utah Anti-Discrimination and Labor Division
- Successfully representing a home health care company in arbitration against an insurer’s demand for reimbursement of Medicaid payments. The arbitrator ruled that the insurance company could not recover its fees in the arbitration forum.
- Successfully representing home health care company client against a former employer who sued for breach of a non-compete and violation of trade secrets. Lisa’s client prevailed in defending against injunctive relief sought by the former employer.
- Obtaining a dismissal of claims against a recycling company client sued by former employees for age discrimination
- Leading Labor & Employment Lawyer, Chambers USA, 2017-2018
- Utah Legal Elite, Labor & Employment, Utah Business magazine, 2008-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2016-2018
- Top 100 Lawyer, Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2015
- Top 50 Woman Lawyer, Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2013-2018
- Mountain States Super Lawyer, Employment and Labor, 2012-2018
- Women Leaders in the Law, ALM, 2015
- AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, 2009-2018
- University of Utah, Juris Doctor (J.D.), 1996; Edward W. Clyde Fellow, Note and Comment Editor of the Utah Law Review
- University of Utah, Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), magna cum laude, 1993; Political Science
- United States District Court, District of Utah
- United States Bankruptcy Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
Cohne Kinghorn has extensive experience in the broad range of legal services required by employers in today’s changing workforce. The attorneys in the Employment Law Practice Area handle all types of employment advice and disputes, including contract negotiation and drafting, policy and handbook drafting and revisions, policy making, employment audits, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, training of employees and supervisors, termination and layoffs, wage and hour requirements and disputes, discrimination, harassment, civil rights, employee benefits, incentive compensation, unemployment matters, and preventive counseling.
Our attorneys have the benefit of extensive experience from both the employer and employee perspective. Our employment lawyers help employers comply with state and federal law, avoid conflicts and disputes, and enhance employee relations. Our attorneys also have extensive experience defending and prosecuting claims of violation of state and federal employment laws, employment contracts, and other disputes, whether in front of administrative bodies, in trial, or on appeal.
Cohne Kinghorn is a law firm large enough to handle major transactions and litigation matters, yet small enough to provide personal service to our clients. Centered in Salt Lake City, Utah, the commercial hub of the Intermountain West, we provide regional representation throughout Utah and the Intermountain West for both local and national clients.
Our practice and clients are diverse. Cohne Kinghorn has developed strong expertise in:
- Appellate Practice
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Business Formation and Planning
- Commercial and Civil Litigation
- Construction Law
- Family Law
- Healthcare Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate and Real Property Development Law;
- Transactions and Securities Law
- Wills, Trusts, and Estate Plannig
In each area of practice, Cohne Kinghorn has established integrated teams of professionals to assure that all aspects of our clients’ needs are efficiently and effectively handled. We provide exceptional quality, cost-effective legal representation for each client, large or small, no matter how complex the problem.
Cohne Kinghorn has maintained a stable presence and a dynamic practice for more than forty years. We take great pride in the long-term allegiance of our clients, gladly providing them continuity in service for all their legal needs.