Mary Taylor Gallagher
Gullett Sanford Robinson & Martin PLLC
150 Third Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37201
Mary Taylor Gallagher is a trial lawyer in GSRM’s Litigation and Labor and Employment sections. She is the Section Leader of the Labor and Employment section. Mary Taylor has tried jury and nonjury cases in state and federal courts throughout Tennessee. In addition to general business litigation, Mary Taylor focuses her practice on the defense of employers in the railroad, transportation and healthcare industries.
Mary Taylor advises clients on issues of labor and employment law compliance, including the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII). She also works with clients to resolve wrongful discharge, harassment, discrimination, whistleblower and retaliation claims, as well as wage and hour dispute and class action litigation.
Mary Taylor has argued orally before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Tennessee Court of Appeals, and authored briefs before the Tennessee Supreme Court. She is admitted to practice before all state and federal courts in Tennessee.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2001 (Member, Moot Court Board and Wagner Labor Law Moot Court Team; Recipient, H.L. Hendricks Memorial Scholarship)
- University of Georgia, B.A., magna cum laude, 1998
- Tennessee, 2001
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for Railroad Law and Employment Law-Management
- Litigation Counsel of America – Fellow, The Trial Lawyer Honor Society
2014 Nashville Emerging Leader Awards Winner – Legal Services Category
American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Litigation Executive Committee
- Chair, Litigation Section
- Nashville Bar Association
- Board of Directors
- 2018 NBA Officer, Secretary
- Past President, Young Lawyer’s Division
- Nashville Bar Foundation
- Co-Chair, Leadership Forum
- Co-Chair, Leadership Forum Mentoring Committee, 2016-2019
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Southeast Region Vice President, 2017-2018
- Executive Committee
- Middle Tennessee Society for Human Resource Management
- Defense Research Institute
- Member, Employment Law Committee
- Tennessee Lawyers Association for Women
- Lawyers’ Association for Women, Marion Griffin Chapter
- Nashville Downtown Partnership
- Board of Directors
- Girls on the Run Nashville
- Board of Directors, 2012-2019
- University of Tennessee College of Law
- Alumni Council
GSRM helps employers gain and sustain a competitive edge. GSRM Labor and Employment attorneys represent clients in all areas of employment law and in a variety of sectors including government, non-profits, and business throughout Tennessee and across the country. Our experience ranges from the creation of sound employment policies and procedures designed to mitigate potential disputes, to the defense of complex class action lawsuits. GSRM advises clients on a broad scope of substantive employment law matters, including:
- Executive compensation, physician and employment contracts
- Development of employment policies, handbooks and training materials
- Conducting engaging and informative employment training for management, executives, and employees
- Harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination and whistleblower claims
- Family and Medical Leave Act and employee absence and leave matters
- Americans with Disabilities Act and disability access/accommodation (including both employment and public accommodation matters)
- Occupational Safety and Health and workplace safety (GSRM has a dedicated OSH response team of attorneys experienced in OSH matters before federal and state agencies)
- Drug/alcohol testing, background checks and workplace privacy
- Reductions in force
- Immigration law compliance
- Non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements
- Protecting trade secrets and business proprietary information
- Wage and hour and prevailing wage claims
- Class actions and multi-plaintiff defense
- Union and collective bargaining counsel and litigation
- Providing responsive and experienced counsel on-call to address employment and compliance issues
Human resource management requires proper planning to ensure preventative measures are in place to reduce the risks associated with employee complaints and lawsuits. GSRM works closely with clients to develop and maintain necessary policies and procedures to comply with applicable federal and state law, and to ensure that the appropriate employment agreements, employee handbooks and covenants not to compete are in place. GSRM’s Labor and Employment team is experienced in providing ongoing counsel to employers in a variety of industries with regard to developments in labor and employment law and mitigation of employment practice liability.
Despite a business’ best efforts to plan and establish preventative measures, employment disputes do arise. GSRM attorneys offer innovative solutions to assist clients in resolving disputes in an economical and cost efficient manner.
GSRM’s employment counsel and litigators provide thoughtful analysis, definitive solutions and powerful advocacy. Our trial attorneys maintain a long history of obtaining favorable results in trial and appellate courts throughout the country, as well as before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, National Labor Relations Board, Occupational Safety and Health Administration and similar state agencies.
Gullett Sanford Robinson & Martin PLLC (GSRM) has been providing legal advice and representation to a diverse client base since its founding in 1942.
GSRM has a long-standing dedication to achieving professional excellence, being responsive to client needs, and providing tailored solutions for its clients.
Members of the firm routinely engage in matters involving litigation, business and commercial transactions, issues involving employers and employees, insolvency proceedings, wills and estates, family law, real property transactions, alcoholic beverage law, among other matters.
Industry representation includes agribusiness, alcohol beverage regulation, construction, government, healthcare, hospitality, insurance, manufacturing, railroads, retail, securities, technology, and transportation.