Tara A. Stingley
12910 Pierce Street, Suite 200
Omaha, NE 68144
Tel: (402) 397-1700
Tara is the Chair of Cline Williams’ Labor and Employment Law section as well as the firm’s primary representative to the Employment Law Alliance, the world’s largest network of labor and employment lawyers.
Tara specializes in employment law, advising businesses in a variety of industries on compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations. Tara assists clients in developing employment policies and provides guidance on best employment practices, employment/termination decisions, and avoiding employment litigation and claims. She advises clients on Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), and other similar federal, state, and local laws and regulations. In the area of wage and hour laws. Tara assists clients in performing internal wage/hour audits to identify potential areas of exposure.
Tara also prepares and updates employment policies, employee handbooks, employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, restrictive covenant agreements (including non-compete, non-solicitation, non-disclosure/confidentiality, and non-diversion agreements), and separation agreements/releases for individual terminations and reductions-in-force. Additionally, she develops employee training materials and conducts training sessions on equal employment opportunity subjects and recent changes in employment law.
Tara also has a litigation practice and routinely represents public and private employers of all sizes in federal and state court and before federal, state, and local administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Nebraska Equal Opportunity Commission (NEOC), and the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), among others. Tara defends employers against claims of discrimination, retaliation, and harassment under Title VII, the ADA, the FMLA, and the ADEA; claims for wage/hour violations under the FLSA and state wage payment laws; and claims alleging wrongful termination and breach of contract. She also assists employers in enforcing restrictive covenant agreements containing non-compete, non-solicitation, non-disclosure/confidentiality, and non-diversion provisions.
- Named: Best Lawyers in America 2023 – Litigation-Labor and Employment Lawyer of the Year in Omaha
- Listed: Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White, Inc. (Litigation-Labor and Employment, Employment Law-Management)
- Listed: Global Law Experts, Employment Law – Lawyer of the Year in Nebraska, 2023
- Named: Best Lawyers’ 2020 Litigation-Labor and Employment Lawyer of the Year for Omaha
- Listed: Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Chambers & Partners Publishing) (Labor and Employment)
- Listed: Benchmark Litigation, The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys
- Named: Who’s Who Legal: Labour, Employment & Benefits, 2021
- Named: Benchmark Litigation, The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys, 2019 – present Labor & Employment Star
- Named: Benchmark Litigation, The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys, 2018 & 2021 Future Litigation Star
- Named: Benchmark Litigation, The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys, 2018 Under 40 Hot List
- Named: Benchmark Litigation, The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys, 2016 Under 40 Hot List
- Listed: Great Plains Super Lawyers (Employment Litigation Defense; Employment & Labor; Employment Discrimination; Employment Law – Employee; Retaliation, Sexual Harassment, Wage & Hour Laws; Whistleblower; Wrongful Termination)
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barristers
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- University of Nebraska, J.D., with high distinction, 2005
- University of Nebraska, B.S. Criminal Justice, summa cum laude, 2002
Cline Williams offers employers a single point of entry for assistance in all areas of labor and employment law. Cline Williams lawyers emphasize compliance and planning to prevent or minimize legal exposure. We regularly represent private and public employers of all sizes, including a broad range of businesses, educational institutions, and health care providers. In addition, we advise executive employees concerning employment issues, including restrictive covenants, deferred compensation, and contractual obligations. Our services include:
- Preparation and review of personnel policies and employee handbooks
- Preparation and review of employment agreements, including non-compete, non-solicitation, confidentiality/non-disclosure, and severance agreements
- Advice and defense of claims concerning the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, wage and hour, OSHA and the WARN Act
- Management representation in union organization efforts and collective bargaining, advice regarding union avoidance strategies and representation in labor arbitrations in the private and public sectors
- Management representation in connection with petitions or charges under the National Labor Relations Act, and Nebraska Industrial Relations Act, before the National Labor Relations Board and the Nebraska Commission of Industrial Relations
- Teacher terminations
- Workplace investigations
- Wage and hour audits
- Training on equal employment opportunity issues and recent legal developments
Cline Williams is the only Nebraska member of the Employment Law Alliance (ELA), the largest global network of lawyers distinguished for practice in labor and employment law. The ELA provides our lawyers a powerful legal resource to best serve our clients facing national and global employment issues. The ELA has more than 3,000 lawyers in all 50 states of the United States, every Canadian province, and more than 120 countries to ensure legal compliance in other jurisdictions.
Cline Williams is a full-service firm with offices across Nebraska in Omaha, Lincoln, and Aurora, and in Fort Collins and Holyoke, Colorado. Our law practice began in 1857 in the Nebraska Territory. Since that time, we have been privileged to serve many of Nebraska’s and Colorado’s leading citizens and institutions.
For over 160 years, we have represented leading citizens, businesses, and institutions in communities, large and small, throughout the Midwest. We take pride in providing clients the highest level of expertise, advocacy, and guidance in helping them achieve their goals, and in building the places we call home.
With our extensive expertise, collaboration among our attorneys enables us to provide the requisite knowledge and skill to effectively serve our clients. The professional excellence of the firm’s lawyers has long been recognized by our clients and peers. In the past year, 29 of our lawyers have been included in one or more of the notable “best lawyers” lists published in the United States.
“Tara Stingley of Cline, Williams, Wright, Johnson & Oldfather LLP advises clients on employment matters from the federal to the local level, engaging in policy, best practice and termination mandates. She also has experience in wage and hour laws.”